Home - Holt Ancestry History Wills Annals Sources
 

HISTORY

1300 - 1399
1400 - 1449
1450 - 1499
1500 - 1549
1550 - 1599
1600 - 1649
1650 - 1699
1700 - 1749
1750 - 1799
1800 - 1899

 
only search Holt Ancestry

History of Lancashire

This is a summary in date order of the information contained within the Victoria History of the County of Lancaster. It was published in 1906 and consists of eight volumes describing the inhabitants of the county which was taken from actual documentary evidence. References are to Volume 4 of History of Lancashire unless otherwise stated
1800 - 1900
1801 John Holt died in Walton where he was a notability of the village, schoolmaster, parish clerk and antiquary (vol 3)
1810 William Holt MA Brasenose college, Oxford (p149). Robert Hughtrede Holt of Dawlish born. He was related to the Holts of Lower Hey and Lower Place in Rochdale (see 1721) Robert had 4 children, 1 son and 3 daughters. The son Robert William Francis Holt was a Lieutenant-conel in the Royal Marines (HR p 326)
1816 Robert Holt of Chamber House purchased Little Clegg in Butterworth.
1817 Liverpool University began with the foundation of the Royal Institution. George Holt was most princely of the early benefactors p53 vol 4)
1828 Charity founded by mother of Dorothea Holt in 1700 totalled 107 as difficult to distribute. Vicar of Rochdale put the interest to a stipend for a nurse in Castleton and 5 to poor of Milnrow chapelry (p201).
1835 "The Holt" Rochdale occupied by the Holt families since 13th century pulled down. Last Holt to live there was Richard Orford Holt (HR p 378)
1844 Co-op Society founded in Rochdale (p189).
1849 William Holt MA curate or rector of Emanuel church Bury/Holcombe - there is a brass memorial in the church (p149).
1849 Monastic estates owned by Holts of Gristlehurst in 15th century, owned by James Fenton of Bamford Hall. William Holt > daughter Elizabeth>Richard Beaumont>Mr Milne>Joseph Fenton (p175).
1850 Castleton Hall sold - this was the seat of the Holts of Stubley (p201). Bispham Hall Wigan was owned by John Holt (p85 vol 4)
1868 Parliamentary Representation of NE Lancashire - Mr Holt Conservative was elected replacing the liberals.
1869 Miss Mary Holt of Broadleigh in Spotland left 500 to the poor (p201).
1876 Holt Green, a triangular piece of land SE of Aughton church still remained open. ( p 2/5)
1894 Blackburn Hundred - There were large quarries at Cunliffe, Close Brow,and near Dunkenhalgh. Holt stands to the north east of Rishton.(vol. 6 p345)
Back to Top

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional

Valid CSS!

 
 
 
 

Copyright © 2008. Victoria Holt. All rights reserved. Contact Us | Site Map | Accessability